Today, I will answer random questions for fun. From my favorite film and music genre all the way to stories of my near death experiences and things that I think most people misunderstands about me. Some answers are short, others are long. Read whatever you like.
I think I accidently shared an unfinished version of this post before and removed it the following day.
1. Are you an introvert or extrovert?
2. What are your hobbies?
I am a music and movie enthusiast.
I am an audiophile who owns too many in-ear monitors.
I enjoy doing simple things like watching sunsets and stargazing.
I enjoy having deep conversations with people.
I enjoy photography.
I like philosophy.
I play video games.
I build custom mechanical keyboards.
3. How many languages do you speak?
Cantonese and English. I can speak both fluently.
4. Where are the places that you will most likely be at?
Home, coffee shop, work, bookstore, or anywhere with good food.
5. What nicknames do you have?
Booby, boobs, bobs, bibby and bibs. I don’t care what people call me.
6. Are you left or right handed?
7. What’s the most beautiful word in the world?
8. What do people think of you?
It depends on how much / well you know me.
For most people, I am weird, hard to read, cerebral, intense, solitary, intelligent, calm, mysterious, and sometimes intellectually dominating. I would also imagine that some people think I am arrogant, which is not true. For those who really knows me: I am a gigantic jokester who drops really dark and stupid humor left and right (for example). I am hard on the outside and super soft in the inside. I also talk too much once people know me well.
9. How difficult is it for you to be honest, even when your words may be hurtful or unpopular?
It is not too difficult for me to say something that is unpopular or hurtful. This is why I make sarcastic jokes. Most of the time, my honesty depends on what is at stake. I always try to be nice, polite, and honest—especially when the situation calls for it.
From personal experience, most people hates my honesty because they think it is rude. While others appreciates the authenticity and finds it nice that I don’t beat around the bush.
10. What did your father teach you?
Do everything with love and passion.
11. What did your mother teach you?
12. What’s one thing you’re certain of?
Just because you are right does not mean that it is the truth.
13. What are you really good at?
I am pretty good at everything that I put my mind to.
14. What is one thing that people take for granted?
15. What do you bring most to a friendship?
Loyalty, care, and authenticity.
16. Have you ever had a secret admirer?
Yes, probably. Just remember that I appreciate honesty.
17. Who is your secret crush?
*Insert ambiguous answer.*
18. What is the first thing you notice about a person?
Their mannerisms and behaviors. You would be surprised how much you can learn about someone from watching the way they behave and how they talk.
19. When was the last time you approached a stranger?
I tend to keep to myself. But I am open to random conversations—even if I seem unapproachable.
20. When was the last time you gave someone advice?
I don’t give advice. But I can tell you what I think is true.
21. What are the signs you show when you like someone?
Most people can’t read me well enough to pick up any signs. Luckily, if I like you, I will usually tell you in the most direct way possible and make sure that there are no miscommunication. In fact, if you ask anyone who I had dated / had romantic interest in, they will all tell you the same thing: “Bobby randomly said ‘I like you'” (and sometimes in the weirdest way possible). I must say that this actually worked quite a few times, but also failed miserably other times. Lol.
22. Have you dated two people at the same time?
23. What is your ideal partner like?
24. Are you attractive?
I know I am not ugly. My mom tells me that I am very handsome.
25. What is love?
An absolute singularity.
26. When was the last time you received a compliment?
Few months ago (not a compliment from my mom).
27. Have you written a love letter?
Yes. I am quite good at it. Letter writing is a lost art that not many people appreciate anymore (emails and instant messages don’t count).
28. What songs have you completely memorized?
Darude – Sandstorm.
29. What do people misunderstand about you?
There are lots. The most common one is my communication style. As I said, I tend to be blunt and honest. I usually mean the things that I say word for word. The problem is that people are used to deciphering social cues (AKA jumping to conclusions) without realizing that there are not much to decipher because of how direct I can be. I also don’t make promises that I cannot keep.
I am aware that most people finds me hard to understand (to be fair, I also find myself hard to understand). It is hard for me to explain myself because my mind buzzes through a billion thoughts per second. I can be quite clueless and absent minded. I am also a very observant and curious person. This is why you might often find me scanning around public spaces and catch me staring at you when I am “idling”. It means I am trying to acquire new knowledge about my surroundings. To be sure, I am not judging you when you catch my gaze. Body language and micro expressions are very fascinating phenomena (i.e. things like mirroring, etc.). For example, I can tell when X is attracted to Y just by observing their interaction and learning their body language and behavioral habits (I am usually 80-90% accurate).
If you approach me, I will respond politely, and you might notice that I will be searching your brain for “intelligence” and “knowledge” by asking you questions about yourself, or about random topics. I will sometimes pretend I am stupid and ask you questions that I already know the answer to and see how you respond (I may also say something on purpose). Your responses will help me determine who you are and your level of intelligence and knowledge within certain topics. It also offers “clues” to other things like whether you have been gossiping about me, etc. I know when someone is being authentic, fake, insecure, or lying to me. I know more than what most people think I know about them. I can see through most people and the masks that they put on. Therefore, if you approach me as yourself, I will appreciate you for who you are and you might discover that I will open up myself to you and share my hobbies and interests. Keep in mind that I am really bad at small talk even if I am capable of doing it for a small amount of time because it is a necessary life skill.
Also, I will almost never cold approach or talk to you if I don’t know you. I apologize to the very curious, smart, beautiful, and perceptive women who figured out that I am interested in them, but wondered why I never approach or talk to them. I think the difficult part is to differentiate when I am looking at you for the sake of people watching interest or romantic interest (sometimes I zone out). This is where the exception comes into play where, if I am interested in you, I might try to cold approach you in one way or another—but it usually fails because I can get pretty shy and end up speechless. If you are brave, you can always ask and I will tell you the truth.
30. What are you grateful for?
Life is a long death.
31. What is one thing you wish your younger self knew?
I would tell myself that “everything will be okay”. Honestly, I think I was pretty stupid when I was in my early 20s. But I think this is true for most people. Life experiences changes you. I still do stupid things now, just not as stupid as the stuff that I used to do.
32. What are you like at a party?
I don’t party. The closest thing to a party that I go to every once awhile are cool art show receptions. I am generally better at hanging out with people one on one.
33. Describe a near-death experience.
I had many near death experiences. They were mostly of me getting hit by cars. When I was in elementary school, I almost got hit by a semi truck that literally stopped right in front of my face when I was crossing the road. A few years ago, I was knocked off my bike by a car with no serious injuries.
When I was 18, I had hemopneumothorax where blood and air were strapped outside my left lung. I was in the hospital with a giant tube stuck between my rib cage for a few days which extracted all the gunk in my lung. It was very painful at times because I could feel the tube wiggle between my rib bones. On several occasions, they had to inject morphine through my IV to ease the pain. I don’t get why people like morphine as a drug because I just pass out every time. The room I stayed in was right next to the fridge where I stole apple juice from at night. There were a lot of funny stories during my time at the hospital, like how the doctor told me not to masturbate or do anything physically intense for two months in the most awkward way possible LOL.
34. If you had a clone, what would you have the clone do?
What any ethical person would do: exploit him and turn him into my capitalist slave.
35. What is your favorite genre of music?
I listen to all genres of music. My favorites are classical, indie, alternative, dream pop, tech house, progressive, and micro / minimal house.
36. Can you name a book that changed who you are?
There are lots. But I will stick to my very first theory / philosophy book called All for Nothing by Rachel K. Ward. A relatively unknown author, she was a student of Jean Baudrillard at the European Graduate School.
37. What is the most expensive item you are wearing right now?
My underwear. I am almost naked right now. 😉
Just kidding, my glasses are the most expensive item on me. I am blind without them.
38. What is your Zodiac sign?
39. What is your MBTI type?
INTJ (this is a pretty accurate personality profile of me, but not 100%). I also test as an INFJ. I used to be really into MBTI theory. I can usually type someone from just talking or observing them.
40. If you were granted three wishes, what would you do with the second wish?
Strange question (I am dodging the question because I don’t have an answer).
41. What is your actual superpower?
I can predict the future pretty well because I tend to think in possibilities and filter it through internal logic. Hence, not very many things surprises me when it happens and I can often predict the things people will say to me.
42. If you won 100 million dollars, what would you buy first?
Retire on an island probably.
43. What have you only recently formed an opinion about?
44. What’s perfect about your life?
45. What’s one thing people would never know about you just by looking at you?
I am a highly sensitive person with a poker face.
46. Describe a moment where you were so embarrassed you wanted to disappear.
Too many to count. LOL
47. How many times a day do you think about money?
Once or twice.
48. Who has been the biggest influence on you in your relationship to money?
No idea…Karl Marx? Adam Smith?
49. What’s the best sound in the world?
50. Are you usually early or late?
51. What do you find beautiful?
I find beautiful things beautiful.
Good answer is good.
52. What does your inner voice tell you?
53. If you were put into solitary confinement for six months, what would you do to stay sane?
Nothing. I can stay sane in 6 months of solitary confinement.
54. What are you listening to right now?
Scherzo No.2. Op. 31. by Chopin played by Yundi Li.
55. What is your favorite film genre?
I watch a lot of movies. I am a fan of Sci-fi. Ex-Machina, Arrival, Inception, Interstellar and Blade Runner 2049 are among my favorite films of the decade. I also enjoy art films by Jean-Luc Godard, Alfred Hitchcock and Alain Resnais.
56. What is the best thing about science?
General relativity and quantum mechanics. I would totally be an astrophysicist if I was good at math.
57. What’s a bad habit you have?
Sleeping late and waking up early.
58. What do you want people you meet for the first time to think about you?
No clue. Don’t care.
59. When were you most afraid?
60. What are you terrible at but love to do anyway?
Love. I fall hard and love hard.
61. What weapon would you carry during the Zombie Apocalypse?
You (as bait, obviously).
62. Which of your five senses would you keep if you could only keep one?
Sight…or maybe sound because I listen to a lot of music.
63. What’s something you love to make?
Great thoughts and ideas.
64. What do you cook better than anyone?
Uhhh… boiling water? jk. I don’t think I am a very good cook.
65. Name a book that you would like to read?
I recently became interested in Ludwig Wittgenstein. I started reading excerpts of Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus.
66. Whom are you envious of?
67. What activity do you do that makes you feel most like yourself?
68. Where do you want to be right now?
The past of the future.
69. What’s one thing you’re super passionate about?
70. What makes you feel powerful?
To not know where I am going.
71. What’s the meanest thing you’ve ever said?
Too many to count. I can be very mean if you piss me off. But pissing me off is quite a difficult feat to achieve.
72. What’s the meanest thing someone has ever said to you?
No idea. I am not a gossip girl and I don’t really care. In fact, I almost never gossip and talk about other people.
73. What three words would you have on your grave stone?
“Bobby is dead”.
74. What’s your first thought when you wake up?
75. What’s one thing you wake up to in the middle of the night worrying about?
The only time I wake up in the middle of the night are those “ah ha!” moments.
76. If you could tell someone something anonymously, what would it be?
All writings are anonymous. This is the secret.
77. Whom would you like to forgive and forget?
I don’t hold grudges.
78. If you could get rid of one of your responsibilities today, what would it be?
79. What type of person angers you the most?
Eh. I hardly get angry. I usually get annoyed. But I tend to avoid debating angry people because it is a waste of energy. It’s strange because I don’t usually shy away from conflicts and debates when the situation calls for it.
80. What does social justice mean to you?
Pretty important. But I am afraid that some of its ideologies might have become regressive.
81. What is your worst weakness?
Honesty. I can be a little too honest sometimes.
82. How do you show your love for others?
I will tell them. I will try to do subtle things that makes their life easier.
83. Why are you here in this room right now?
Because it is my room.
84. When is a time you forgave someone or were forgiven for something?
I forgive people all the time.
85. What’s the biggest mistake you ever made?
Truth is a mistake.
86. What are you hiding?
All there is and all there isn’t.
87. What’s your unanswerable question—the question you seem to always be asking yourself?
The question is in itself the unanswerable question.
88. What are you ashamed of?
89. What is stopping you?
90. Do you have recurring dreams?
91. How do you secretly manipulate people to get your way?
By being honest and telling the truth.
92. When was the last time you apologized?
93. What makes you nostalgic?
94. What’s the moment you left childhood behind?
No idea. I am quite childish. I have the humor of a 5 year old.
95. Would you rather trade intelligence for looks or looks for intelligence?
I prefer to have both.
96. Do you believe in a higher power?
Yes. No. Maybe.
97. What are you ready to let go of?
98. Do the people you hang out with add value to your life?
Yes. But I am also very choosy on who I hang out with.
99. What’s an image you’ll never forget?
I remember a lot of images. I have photographic memory and I can remember and reorient a lot of objects visually in my mind. I remember when I did a really lengthy IQ test and scored surprisingly high on spatial IQ (something like top 5% percentile).
100. What gives your life meaning?
The fact that I will die one day is what gives meaning to my life.